Local Law 26 -
New York City to Make Skyscrapers Safer
On June 7, 2004, just weeks following hearings held by the Federal 9/11 Commission, the City Council Committee on Housing and Buildings voted to make New York City high-rise buildings safer. By adopting 13 of 21 recommendations made by the World Trade Center Building Code Task Force, New York City is making good on some lessons learned from the tragic events of September 11th, 2001.
A section of the code requires that by July 1, 2006, all high rise office buildings (75 feet or taller) and all high rise commercial buildings in New York City shall be equipped with approved photoluminescent material. Only products approved by the Department of Buildings' Materials Equipment Acceptance Division ("MEA") shall be installed.
Contact us for the product selection guide
Is your building Local Law 26 compliant?
In accordance with Local Law 26 RS 6-1 and 6-1A, the following requirements will be valid for all existing and new high rise commercial buildings in NYC (Building Code Occupancy Group "E").
- Building owners are required to install photoluminescent exit markings and signs at all Exit doors, stair and pathways leading to Exits.
- Markings shall be directional in the exit stairs with all stairs and landings/walls delineated.
- The word EXIT shall be on doors opening to corridors and passageways.
- Owners of existing buildings must submit a report of completion certifying compliance before July 1, 2006.
- Building owners must maintain a log book indicating yearly maintenance checks and repair of all installed products.
- All photoluminescent products must be tested by an independent laboratory and approved by the Department of Buildings' Material and Equipment Acceptance Division (MEA).
The New York City Fire Commissioner will also have the power to mandate owners of office buildings to develop emergency action plans for full building evacuation. The existing law calls for evacuation plans for fire events and also extends to plans for non-fire related events including Blackouts, Hazardous Materials incidents and Natural Disasters.
PictoGraphix provides MEA and UL 1994 listed photoluminescent stairwell delineation markers and signs for high-rise buildings.
Contact us to schedule a building walk-through and estimate today!
"Providing Visible Safety Solutions"
U.S.A./Canada call Toll Free: 1-800-504-3822
In Canada: 51A Westminster Avenue N., Montreal, QC H4X 1Y8
email@example.com | Return policy | Privacy
©2004-2011 PictoGraphix Inc.